Link Red-StaterWisdoms

Red-StaterWisdoms explores the differences between the Red and Blue states on social, personal and political issues.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York

Sunday, April 03, 2005

Harris Barn on River Road surrounded by water


Harris Barn on River Road
Originally uploaded by Sally Ann.

For as long as I can remember when it rained hard like it did yesterday, you drove around Lindley looking for water "out of its banks". So that's what Lar and I did today.

Saw lots of places where the rain water rushed off the banks during the rain storm and settled in the usual places, like behind Harris's barns.

Remarkably, today the river has receded significantly from yesterday's bank to bank flow. I'll tell you what though, without the Cowanesque Dam, places along the river would have been under water. And it looked like the multiple streams and creeks in town handled the run off well. Now...if it'll just stop raining.

Click on this link to see a "real time" graph of the Tioga swelling and receding during the last two days http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/uv?01526500

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the picture. Really expresses the mood brought on by all the rain.

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sally, That picture brings back memorys of driving harris dairy herd up church creek to upper pasture at start of flood .I will never forget how much milk was leaked out all the way up church creek to Harris road.

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marc: Was that the 1972 flood?

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my cherished memories of growing up in Lindley, was when the Stuart and the Harris farms "drove their milk cows on Church Creek to their upper pastures."

One of my not so cherished memories was when Jake Gross Junior's "bull" got out. Man that bull was ornery. It was red-alert when that old boy broke through his fence.

Another cow story happened when my Mom, apple thief that she was, talked me into stealing apples up on the Harris Road where Leland kept his young bulls/cows. Needless to say, Ma and I ended up in the apple tree while eight or ten bulls/cows helped themselves to our bags of apples. We were up in that tree for hours until we figured out we could pelt the cows with apples to drive them off.

Now you would have figured that would have kept her from going back a year or so later. It didn't. Only that time, we were stealing wild grapes for her wild grape jelly. I insisted we picked a pasture without any cows in it. But we soon discovered the vines most loaded with grapes were in the pasture with, you got it, the cows. I stood guard while Ma picked. It didn't take the cows too long before they "wandered over" to see what we were doing. I have a natural fear of cows, probably because of Jake's bull, so I couldn't stand it any longer and ran for the fence and left my own flesh and blood alone in the pasture. Ma never quite forgave me for that and she didn't share her wild grape jelly with me either that year.

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sally yes was the 72 flood.Bottoms was larrys herdsman at that time .Myself ,Steve Thomas, Billy Williams,Lynn Campbell and our familys helped drive the herd up church creek.PS.loved the story about the cows and apples lol thought i was only one ever chased by ornery bovines.

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home