Link Red-StaterWisdoms

Red-StaterWisdoms explores the differences between the Red and Blue states on social, personal and political issues.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Local Candidates Emerge


Local Candidates Emerge
Originally uploaded by Sally Ann.
Several weeks ago when discussing the upcoming elections in town, as friend suggested I run for local office. I rejected the idea immediately. Then a second friend asked, only that time I listened to the reasons they had for asking me. I wasn’t being asked to run “against” another candidate as so often happens in local elections, I was asked to run because of my “qualifications”. This approach appealed to me. It was like being asked to get married for all the right reasons, but I was still reluctant to throw my hat into the ring.

However, as the days went by the thought of running lingered, so I did what every person does who has a close, trusted confidant of nearly 40 years…I talked it over with my husband. Mostly because what I do affects him as well, and he of all people knows me best. After many in depth conversations about the pros and cons of running, we concluded that I was, indeed, a proper candidate. After many years of involvement in local politics and community functions I am ready to meet the challenges of public office.

I am running on the Republican ticket, as is Paul Stermer, for Lindley Town Supervisor. The contest between Paul and I will be decided September 13, 2005 during the Republican Primary. Sometime in August Lindley Democrats will hold a caucus to select a candidate. The winner of the Republican Primary will run against a Democratic candidate if one is selected. An Independent candidate may also emerge.

If the Republican Party does not select me as their candidate during the Primary, I will not be running on an Independent ticket. I feel it is important to have the backing of your party.

Also, those who are running for local office are invited to “post their platforms” and engage in a dialogue with Lindley citizens on the blog, if they so choose.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck Sally!!!

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sally you will have my vote no matter what ticket you run on. the town board needs new faces and new ideas good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck because you have no idea how much time and work is involved. It is not just a matter of attending a monthly meeting!

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interested to read exactly what your platform is. What changes do you feel need to be addressed in the town and how do you propose to change or correct problem areas?

What are your qualifications for this position?

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really wish you would have gone for the councilmans position!
Then you could get your feet wet and prove yourself before running for such a position. I agree, its gonna be something that is very time consuming. What about the blog? I enjoy you being the "middle-man" here. Either way, good luck.

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!!!! Thanks for the interest in my running for Town Supervisor. I was hoping to ignite some interest in local politics. In a few days I'll be posting my "platform", but as the weeks go by I will be "listening" to what the people here in town are most concerned with. I'll address any questions and concerns put before me. So ask away.

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck i do not feel you need to be on the town board first and get your feet wet to know how to do the job. The person you are running against has been on the town board and i do not think he knows all there is to know i have not ever heard of him doing any thing great or any thing at all while he was on the town board so what makes people think he will do a better job than you ? You are at least a political person and although you and i do not always agree on matters you will at least state your case on a matter and stick by your guns. You have my vote and i will not vote for the person running against you even if he runs unopossed.

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a mighty big compliment and I appreciate your support. I just hope you're old enough to vote!

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sally- Good luck !Remember a lil competition when running for office is good for all canidates.I look forward to hearing your ideas on the Town.P.S. Even if you had to run on a different ticket would that be so bad? Remember we are not all Republicans but that doesnt mean you wouldnt have support from the other partys!

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes i am way old enough to vote and i will cross party lines to cast my vote for who i want to.

4:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home